I broke down and joined Facebook not long ago. I was reluctant to join because, just like many of you, my day is crammed full of work, family, and fun. And, in my mind’s eye, I had branded Facebook as a purely social network for a much different (and younger) demographic. I had a long list of reservations about signing up for that free account. But with the site’s popularity rising and its role in the election of our president, I decided that I owed it to myself and my clients to explore the impact Facebook could have on a business.
The first couple of weeks, I was inundated with friend requests from high school buddies with whom I’d had little or no contact for more years that I care to admit. While I’ve been delighted to catch up with my friends from a different stage in my life, I still pondered how this could help me with my business. A few more weeks passed and my network has expanded to include professional contacts and even a few people who are friends of friends.
How my Facebook Friends Changed my Tune about Social Networking
The events that occurred over the next couple of weeks dispelled my trepidations. Just a few of the neat things that have happened include
- A friend from elementary school does some awesome work at Indigo Studios in Atlanta, and has been kind enough to provide excellent feedback to questions I’ve had.
- I discovered that one of my high school buds owns East Texas Candles and made the really nifty candles that I received as a gift not long ago.
- A college classmate found me and we now have the pleasure of working together on a couple of Content Solutions projects.
- I’ve connected with a business associate (and several of her connections) who provides a wealth of information about becoming a Big Fish.
- Multiple people have helped me brainstorm and solve some of the little problems we all face when working on projects.
If I sat here long enough, the list would go on and on and on. I’d love to hear from you about how your Facebook experiment is turning out in the comments.
And, of course, if you need help diving into the deep end, we’ll be more than happy to help you take the leap!
Be sure to look for the Content Solutions page on facebook and consider becoming fan.