Graphic Design Bookshelf
Looking for a great read on graphic design? This list includes our favorite titles on our bookshelf. I’ve linked each book to Amazon and to the full review on our blog for those we’ve had a chance to review. If you don’t see a review yet, check back as there’s likely a draft just waiting to emerge.
[amazon-carrousel height=”200″ width=”600″]33231608-a13c-4be5-b640-dafbbb2437fb[/amazon-carrousel]
- [amazon-product text=”Adobe Illustrator CS4 How-Tos: 100 Essential Techniques” type=”text”]0321562909[/amazon-product] by David Karlins. Published by Adobe Press. $24.99. Kindle edition available. From Amazon: This info-packed guide lets users get right down to work by focusing on the Illustrator CS4 features they’re most likely to use and showcasing each in a stand-alone tip–complete with a relevant hint or two and a graphic example. In this fashion, readers learn just what they need to know, exploring the program in a way that makes sense to them. Before they know it, users will be using all the new features as well as creating symbols and applying instances and exporting their work to Adobe Flash.
- [amazon-product text=”Adobe Illustrator CS4 Classroom in a Book” type=”text”]0321573781[/amazon-product] by the Adobe Creative Team. Published by Adobe Press. $54.99. From Amazon: The fastest, easiest, most comprehensive way to learn Adobe Illustrator CS4. Adobe Illustrator CS4 Classroom in a Book contains 15 lessons. The book covers the basics of learning Illustrator and provides countless tips and techniques to help you become more productive with the program. You can follow the book from start to finish or choose only those lessons that interest you. Learn how to create artwork for illustrations, logos, stationery, page layouts, posters, and integrate with Adobe Flash® movies, Adobe InDesign® layouts, and more!
- [amazon-product text=”Illustrator CS4 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))” type=”text”]0470396563[/amazon-product] by Ted Alspach. Published by For Dummies. $29.99. From Amazon: This full-color guide gives you the scoop on the newest tools, tips on color control and path editing, ways to organize graphics, and how to get your work into print or on the Web. You’ve heard Illustrator is a bit complicated? That’s why you need this friendly For Dummies book! With plain-English instructions and colorful examples of what you can acheive, Illustrator CS4 for Dummies will make you an Illustrator pro in no time.
- [amazon-product text=”Real World Adobe Illustrator CS4″ type=”text”]0321573552[/amazon-product] by Mordy Golding. Published by Peachpit Press. $54.99. From Amazon: Real World Adobe Illustrator CS4 is the definitive reference to Adobe’s industry-standard vector graphics software and is now in 4-color. With an easy, engaging style, author and past Illustrator product manager Mordy Golding takes readers through all of the features of the program, explaining not only how to use the multitude of features but also why and when to use them. This edition has been thoroughly updated for Illustrator CS4 and includes techniques on using the new multiple artboards for quicker Illustrator work across a variety of designs, demonstrations of the new Blob Brush tool and transparency in gradients, overviews of the new cross-product feature support with InDesign, Flash, and Flex (opening up new opportunities for collaborations between developers and designers), and coverage on a whirlwind of other new useful features. Along with tips, sidebars, and expert commentary, there are also numerous 4-color illustrations and screen shots from contributing artists included to offer readers the most complete coverage on this extraordinary application. Designers from all fields–illustrators, animators, package designers, graphic designers, web designers, and more–will find Real World Adobe Illustrator CS4 their one-stop guide to creating powerful designs in Illustrator.
- [amazon-product text=”Adobe Illustrator CS4 on Demand” type=”text”]0789738384[/amazon-product] by Steve Johnson. Published by Que. $29.99. Kindle edition available. From Amazon: What you need, when you need it! Need answers quickly? Adobe Illustrator CS4 on Demand provides those answers in a visual step-by-step format. We will show you exactly what to do through lots of full color illustrations and easy-to-follow instructions.